Downtown Monroe Alliance was organized in 2009 to stimulate the downtown development and revitalization within the context of cultural and historic preservation. The alliance works to market the assets of the heart of the city, downtown.
The fundamental goal of DMA is to excel in areas of business development, design, promotion, and organization. DMA also manages the Monroe Main Street Program, accredited with the National Main Street.
In the past, DMA has facilitated the following projects:
- Spruced up Art Alley, Anna Gray Noe Park, and Henry Bry Park
- Crosswalks and medallion on S Grand & Desiard
- Planters on Art Alley
- Utilized grants and community partnerships to build 30 new trash receptacles throughout downtown
- Annual beautification in Bry Park and on South Grand
- Established tourism invigorating events, highlighting local talent and businesses, such as Commander Christmas, BrewFest, NELA Music Awards, and the Downtown River Jam concert series
- Helped fund the Coca-Cola murals restoration project
- Assisted downtown business with grant applications to receive $10,000 in Redevelopment grant
- Various marketing campaigns to promote downtown and downtown businesses
- Production of an annual magazine highlighting downtown
DMA is continually working on marketing campaigns, business recruitment, and tourism spurring events to revitalize downtown. To find out more information or how to get involved, contact Myra Gatling-Akers at (318) 329-4947 or by e-mail at Myra.Gatling@ci.Monroe.LA.US